When Interviewing a Doula, What Questions Should I Ask?
When interviewing one of My3Doulas, most likely you will have two of us at the interview. In the event that the primary doula that you hire is unavailable, due to illness or family emergency, you will have already met one of her back-ups.
Following are questions you can ask any doula that you intend to interview.
1, What training have you had? (If a doula is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)
2. Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not available? May we meet her/them?
3. What is your fee, what does it include and what are your refund policies?
When interviewing a Birth Doula
1. Tell me about your experience as a birth doula.
2. What is your philosophy about birth and supporting women and their partners through labor?
3. May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play in supporting me through birth?
4. May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the birth?
5. When do you try to join women in labor? Do you come to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
6. Do you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?
When interviewing a Postpartum Doula
1. Tell me about your experience as a postpartum doula.
2. What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting women and their families during postpartum?
3. May we meet to discuss our postpartum needs and the role you will play in supporting us in the postpartum period?
4. May we call you with postpartum questions or concerns before the birth?
5. When do your services begin after birth?
6. What is your experience in breastfeeding support?
7. Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB test, and current CPR certification?